Sunday, May 29, 2011

Designer Diamond deLuxe vs. Designer Diamond

While I was at convention, one of the classes I took was on the new Designer Diamond deLuxe.  The Designer Diamond deLuxe has the new feed system and the claim is that the embroideries it produces are as good on the back as they are on the front.  The theory is simple in that the feed system now acts similar to the sensor system when you sew over various thickness of fabric.  So no matter what thickness of thread, the new feed system will adjust to the right tension and produce superior results.

During the class, I was able to stitch just one side of the think scarf they had for us in the project kit.  This presented an opportunity to stitch the other side on my Designer Diamond when I got home.

Unfortunately, I didn't have the design we created in class but I did select what I thought was a similar design.  It was an open design that was not very stitch intensive.  The design was stitched with a candlelight type of thread.  I happened to have the exact type of thread at home (bonus)!  So the pictures below show both the deLuxe as well as the standard Diamond.  To me, with these designs, on this fabric and with this thread, there is virtually no difference in the stitch quality.
Designer Diamond deLuxe front

Designer Diamond deLuxe back

Standard Designer Diamond front

Standard Designer Diamond back


My Conclusion:  No significant visual difference.  In the coming month I hope to find some time to be able to use a Designer Diamond deLuxe in the store to test some thicker threads and observe the quality. I'll also want to try the same design, especially one with a higher stitch count.  At convention they did show some designs that had a higher stitch count and the difference was observable.  But as all of know that embroider often, hooping and stabilizer also play a part in the final product.

1 comment:

Sandy said...

Hi, I am new to embroidery and received a Designer Diamond from a family member. I was curious if you had any more of an opinion on the Diamond vs the Diamond deLuxe? Because I am new to embroidery, I was wondering if it would be easier to produce quality work the the deLuxe? Thanks for you time and post!