Saturday, June 16, 2012

Embroidered Jumper

So I'm now into combining my love of garment sewing with my love for machine embroidery. I finally finished a project I started (dare I say) two years ago.  Somewhere after starting this jumper I got side tracked with another project.  In my sewing room, that's pretty easy to do!!  So first here's a picture of the finished project (the jumper and not the knit top).

I took a basic floral design in a monochrome tone and edited twice.  Once to downsize it and the second time to remove a few of the elements.  The design is repeated around the bottom of the jumper.

Then I decided that the blossom on the design might make a good dimensional flower pin for the jumper.  So I took that design and made two Encored (circular) disk type embroideries on tulle.  The I embroidered just the flower about 6 times on tulle.  After embroidering I cut them out and stacked them on top of each other and sewed them together in the middle, added a pin to the back that you can get in any craft store and the scrunched the flowers to get dimension.

I also used some of my Designer Diamond Heirloom machine stitches around the neck area of the jumper that you can just see in the top left hand corner of the flower shot.

And finally, here's a close up of the design running around the lower area of the jumper.

I did make a few edits to the  Kwik sew pattern #2716 below.  I added darts to give it a little more shape and also added a side invisible zipper.

The pattern was pretty simple to make. I used view A (no front pockets although it does have side pockets).  It's just 4 pieces.  Front, back, neck facing and arm hole facings.  The thing that took the time was the embroidery.  I don't think people realize how much time it takes even for a one color design to stitch out.  Add the multiple hoping to go all the way around the bottom and, well, that's the reason I was easily side tracked!  In any case, the jumper is now on display at Viking Sew 'n Quilt for a few months.  I'll get it back in time to wear it for the fall cooler weather.

And now, it's on to the next project which will either be a shell top out of some "bargain bin" cotton fabric I picked up from VSQ or another skirt, perhaps with some type of embroidery.  Until next time, may all your embroidery projects be spectacular!!

1 comment:

Linda/Thistledown and Co. said...

Hooray for you Sue! The jumper turned out lovely and your embroidery is a very elegant touch - you are so talented! Nice getting a UFO finished isn't it.