Sunday, December 16, 2012

Finding The Right Font

I'll be the first to admit, I've been slack about this blog as well as slack about getting my Christmas shopping and embroideries done.  I'm not sure where the time goes, but it seems like a 2 for 1 special in verse!  I can blame it on any number of things too boring to bother with. Let me just admit to being just having too much to do and too little time to get it done in.  But I feel I'm not alone. This time of year is hectic for loads of people, especially those with children. I'm lucky my "children" are of the 4-legged variety and don't require as much attention as toddlers or teenagers!

This year I'm keeping it simple. A few monogrammed towels and monogrammed pillowcases. But monograms are not as always as simple as some people think. Picking the right font can be a killer, especially if there's a man involved.  You can't have a font that's too "girly" or too far out.  When I started the process of monogramming the pillow cases and towels, I had to come up with the right font that was fitting for both a man and woman and would work on towels and pillow cases.  I'm lucky to have the Husqvarna Viking 5D Professional suite of software that comes pre-loaded with a ton of fonts and also has a Quick Font Wizard that lets me take most True Type fonts and create new font sets.

The font I settled on after about 15 minutes of looking is in the Script section. The font is Nimbus and I think the font looks very "unisex".  Expensive and refined.


The pillowcases were easy. The size for this satin font was well within the range of where I'm comfortable (50 mm). But when it came to the bath towels, I knew a satin font might "gap" too much and adjustments would need to be made. And if there's one item I always, always, always test sew, it's a bath towel.  I keep old towels on hand just for that reason.  I've found that density is something that often has to be adjusted on larger monograms.



Other Useful Tips:

  1. Always start with a full bobbin. There's nothing for frustrating that running out in the middle of an important embroidery.
  2. Print a template if you're new to machine embroidery to make sure your embroidery will be position correctly and that you like the size proportions. 
  3. If your machine has a way to insure you're centered and your embroidery is positioned correctly, use it. Even if you're an experienced machine embroiderer, this is a good tool to take advantage of.
  4. Topper. I always use a non-water soluble topper on my towel embroideries. I know a lot of people who use Solvy, but since it dissolves in water and towels are washed often, the chance for that pile to come through after numerous washing is pretty good. 
  5. Try and use a bobbin thread close to the color of your towel.  Bobbin threads are available in a number of colors and there's more to life than black and white! It will make your finished embroidery look much more professionally embroidered.


No comments: